August 24, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World Review - Joe Edition

As I entered the theater and sat down in my chair, I was highly anticipating a movie that would live up to it's trailer and far beyond it at the same time.  As the previews ended and the lights fully dimmed, the Universal logo came on in 8-Bit graphics and music and at that moment, I was sold that this movie was going to be awesome.  The introduction started off very well with the problem that Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) was dating a high school girl which would eventually lead the entire story to it's ultimate climax.  His girlfriend is introduced and the characters personalities are identified as they start off with their band rehearsal.  After the title sequence, which I admired for the intense work they must have put in except for the mind seizure it induced, it builds up the plot device that leads him to encounter the additional characters such as Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead)  and the Seven Evil Exes [I'm not ruining anything, you saw this in the trailer.] 

I'm not going into the story in detail so that those who may have not seen it will not complain about it being ruined and such nonsense.  What I will say is that the story, originally written by Bryan Lee O'Malley as a comic, has a solid story.  It has everything in the movie that defines each point as a certain point in the movie that should be there.  [For more info, go read the late Blake Snyder's book "Save the Cat!"]  I went to the theater with someone who said she had read the original comics.  She noted that there were parts here and there that were missing from the original but what movie doesn't?  She still commented that it was an amazing movie and did not steer clear off the course like The Last Airbender. [god damn you M. Night Shyamalan]  Despite it missing certain points of the comics, it still did an amazing job of getting the flow of the movie right so that no one moment was boring or dragged out.  The acts connected well and the main character was given enough reason and time to go through what we call "The Hero's Journey".  His character begun flawed, shown to him, and then he reaches the end with the right tools to win.

The effects in the movie were what first pulled me to see this movie.  When I think Michael Cera in a movie, I just think, oh god, another movie about teenage awkwardness.  The use and timing of the effects in the film was very satisfying and "beast".  Though it was not a serious film whatsoever, the post production crew did not skimp on the details of each effect that was needed.  The whole idea of the game life bars and such added to the film in a most positive manner.  The movie was rather surreal at times, and the editing and the effects strongly supported those transitions from reality to his inner thoughts.  I am sure that this film will cause a great number of Youtube children and adults to start making short skits and pieces much in the style of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

The soundtrack was very fitting for the indie crowd the character's band was aiming for.  I could totally see the music playing behind Michael Cera if I saw him walking down the street. [Cause you know, Michael Cera acts like Michael Cera in every movie.]  Though the indie music scene is clearly not on my list of favorites, I very much enjoyed the use and story development with the music.

The randomness and uncertainty of the jokes was the defining feature of the film.  What would be rather awkward if the dialogue was straight forward, the speech and train of thought of Scott Pilgrim and his friends were very amusing and interesting to watch.  I happened to see The Expendables right after this movie, and I must say, that it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.  The dialogue was so weak and confusing that it deducted what little that movie had.  Unlike that movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World was solid and well timed.  The jokes made sense and the jokes and speech matched each character as they should have if they were real.

Now Daniel was telling me about how old time reviewers did not like the movie.  It all makes sense though.  This movie clearly is not a movie that would be understood by the older generation.  Very modern in it's style, the whole idea of fantasy and music does not seem to mesh well with the tastes of the people like Ebert and his peers.  This is a movie which is meant for a younger generation but clearly not targeted for children.  If one had to give an age range, I would say 15-34 years of age.  It almost like a cultural thing and is understandable that many people may not like this movie.  But it doesn't stop me from believing it was awesome.

Overall, this is one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.  Highly amusing and entertaining, the film clearly was worth the discounted price I bought the ticket for and I would have paid full price to watch it and would not mind watching it again.  I would highly recommend it to people and I plan on purchasing it somehow when it is released on a DVD [or a Blu-Ray if I can afford a player]. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment