September 17, 2010

I wrote this on my personal blog on Friday at like 3 in the morning.  I'm re-posting it here cause I wanted to share the experience for those of you who were not in NY.  While the descriptions of this entry are lacking, do keep in mind that I was up late and therefore brain-dead.

 As many people should know, the New York area was devastated by a fierce storm yesterday afternoon.  I was actually walking home from my first day of work at the New York Film-Maker’s Cooperative when the storm grew worse in Manhattan.  Luckily for me, Manhattan was quite possibly the only borough not damaged heavily by the storm.
But as I was walking home and the time between lightning and thunder shrunk, the sky grew dark at a pace that was very much foreboding.  At that moment, I thought of the passage in the Bible right after Jesus drew his last breath and he had truly died on the cross.

One passage is from Luke 23:44-47.
44It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last.  47The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.”

A much more descriptive passage is from Matthew 27:51-53.

51At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook and the rocks split. 52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus’ resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Yesterday’s storm was truly frightening.  The flash of lightning pierced the dark skies and the hammer of thunder crashed upon the heavens, shaking me to my core.  The vibrations echoed throughout me as I looked up and saw rain starting to fall slowly.  It was a great experience to have been through.  I do wonder if anyone else felt the same about the storm.  I imagine that the biblical passage was far more intense by a hundred fold.
The rain did start coming down like a sheet of arrows while a block away from my dorm.  Even with umbrella, the rain thoroughly drenched me within the 8 sec it took me to walk the rest of the way to the building.  I went inside, dried off, went on the internet and found that three hurricanes are off the coast of the US.  I don’t know if that had anything to do with the storm here, but seriously, three hurricanes?  Is that normal?  Also, I had no ideas that tornadoes actually can form in this part of the US.  I took it much more of a Midwest/West thing.



Here is a video of the storm rolling into Brooklyn.  Like the Angel of Death on the land of Egypt.  
=(

No comments:

Post a Comment